A chemical spill at the University of Akron yesterday that led to an evacuation and one student being taken to the hospital as a precaution.
A university spokesperson tells 19 News that it happened in a lab inside the Knight Chemical Building when a student dropped a bottle containing 1,3 Diaminopropane that splashed onto the students pants. 1,3 Diaminopropane is a flammable industrial compound that is toxic to the skin.
The student was immediately placed in the chemical shower and the Akron Fire department was called. The lab and adjacent buildings were evacuated and the student was transported to Akron General as a precaution. The buildings have since been reopened but the lab remains closed while the spilt chemicals are cleaned up.